Sorry I've been gone... Sometimes I don't hang out in dicoccoville... not because there is nothing happening in our lives worth sharing... but because I don't want to be responsible for the processing that has to take place for me to write about life's twists and turns. You know what I mean?
First and foremost is a very beautiful "welcome to the world" to our brand new niece , Sophie Lou ... or Callie, whichever you prefer. Actually, she was nameless for 14 hours... until she and her momma had a talk about it in the middle of the night. I love that story. Until then, Kenny was figuring he'd name her "calliente" because it is so blisteringly hot this week. When Kenny was joking about Calliente... my dad says "I think I'm just going to call her "Betty", which makes me wonder, did my dad date a hot Betty before he met my mom?
Link over here to see pictures...
because blogger won't let me post more than one today.
She is so much cuter than the "what will your future child look like photo booth" predicted months ago.
We are still waiting patiently for the song that has been commissioned in little Sophie's honor. How perfect that we will get to hear it the first time with her actually in our arms.
.
So, Last week Thursday Rebecca and I went running. Started at the track, ran past the lake, up to the big rock and back... in 95 degree heat. If it wasn't for a huge glass of water and a sandwich on gluten free bread afterwards, I'm not sure I would ever been over the trauma and gotten the motivation to run again. Harrison accompanied us on his bike, and Ava on her
scooter, keeping up quite well, sometimes overtaking us by a long stretch. At the big rock, we took a tiny breather while waiting for Indy, who had passed us and needed to return. Ava dropped her scooter to the ground and crouched low to pursue a tiny frog hopping along the wooded path. It proved quite the elusive jumper and kept her busy for a minute or so... but finally she caught him and stood to bring her prize for me to see. She took four steps in our direction, when , from somewhere indefinable, came an enormous cracking and crashing sound. We looked around, we looked at each other, we looked up into the trees just in time to see a giant branch break through the canopy and come slamming to the ground... smashing down with such a force it splintered into pieces as it hit the earth... right next to Ava's very recently abandoned scooter. Literally and honestly, precicely where she had been crouched only a moment before.
Avery, not getting the fullness of what has just happened, proceeds to show me her tiny frog, which indeed is a prince and deserves a kiss for his role in the salvation of my precious, precious princess. I stood stunned. And as we took off running once again,with my Ava gliding past us on her scooter,whistling a carefree tune, I could not even breathe out my thankfulness and awe and terror and wonder. It still seems insignificant to simplify it... but- uh, thank you God.

2 comments:
Oh my goodness - Thank you God for protecting Avery! I had goosebumps reading that because I was placing myself in your shoes at that moment.
Also, I could relate to the feelings that go with that because of an incident my family had earlier in the week. We were all out at the Barry County Fair Monday night and had taken a couple vehicles out there. My dad and I got back to their house around 9:25 and my mom, my sister and my niece got back around 9:45. When I went to leave around 10:25, there was a tree down over their driveway. So somewhere within that 40 min. it had fallen. It wasn't even storming at that time yet, but I guess a very strong wind had come through and the tree was dying so it was weak. Anyway, my mom and I just looked at each other and said how blessed we were that none of us had the tree come down on our vehicles. So I was thanking God for His protection. Then as my dad was out there in that constant lightning that was going on, in the middle of many other trees (they have a very wooded area around them), using his chain saw to cut the tree so I could get out, I just kept saying a continual prayer for him to be safe. It was a scary moment for me.
Anyway, with all that said, I just wanted to let you know I can relate to the feelings you must have had.
Lori Bergy
Yes, yes...both/and... I'm sorry I could not go running with you at all this week... and this mornings invitation wasn't received until too late.
lori- thanks for sharing your story with us... we are all protected at random moments in our lives... sometimes we get to see them being played out. I wonder how many times the other side of the coin goes unseen but is just as real?
Post a Comment