So, my last post, the one on Saturday night came out entirely different than I had planned when I sat down at the computer. I wanted to share pictures of a beautiful night together with friends. But as I began to reflect on Passover, and story telling, I began to recognize the restless ache I feel in my heart right now... and how I know God is good, and I know that simply remembering the Who of who God is puts so much into perspective... I have been reading Job lately. Not because I feel all hopeless and like God has abandoned me. I have been reading it for the sheer poetry describing God and His character. God and His acts of creation. God and His God-ness, and man in his not God-ness.
Anyway, so after opening up this package that began to unravel as I reflected on Passover - and recognizing this ache in my heart - I am welcomed in on Sunday morning with this thought woven into our worship.
We are fired into life
by a madness that comes from
our incompleteness.
For generations, our restless aching has been seen as
nothing less than the yearning within us for God.
³You have made us for Yourself, Lord,
and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.²
(Augustine)
(Augustine)
In fact, this hopeless aching and lack of ease is the very basis
of the spiritual life. What we do with the ache inside us,
be it heroic or perverse, is our spiritual life.
(from "Forgotten Among the Lilies" by Ronald Rolheiser)
-thanks Aaron, thanks Troy for being the kind of leaders that model truth and vulnerability.

No comments:
Post a Comment