
Quiet Day...
Today is a national holiday in South Africa. Human Rights Day… although we have yet to find someone who knows what it monuments…everyone is glad for the day off of work and school. So we spent the day also on holiday with a beautiful family who has opened up their home for us to stay this week and are spoiling us like mad. We were taken to a fabulous rooftop flea market. Lucky us, we were here the right time for it is only open on Sundays and holidays. 

... drums playing
... street performers
…Colors swirling
…Colors swirling
... so many shapes spilling through, running all into each other
.. the smell of incense burning
... people bustling about
…booth after booth after booth stretching out.
So much creativity and skill.
It was difficult to decide what treasure to claim.
.. the smell of incense burning
... people bustling about
…booth after booth after booth stretching out.
So much creativity and skill.
It was difficult to decide what treasure to claim.
Avery has in her head that she wants an African mask… but when we arrive… she changes her mind to find a carved elephant. Every seller looks into her eager face and draws us in … showing off their goods… and when they find she is looking at elephants… there is a parade of pachyderms coming at us from all sides.“Spoil her… spoil your little one…” they say.
Finally she decides on the one she wants. It is giant. It is heavy. It is quite expensive.
So she chooses another… a smaller one that is still good sized, but will be able to fit into her suitcase on the plane instead of having to travel on the seat next to her.

I knew she would be sad because this one is also quite expensive… and although it is expected to banter over prices… it honestly is much more than she had available.
But she is hopeful. It is the very one she wanted.
So the negotiations begin and end quickly… 240 rand… 180 rand… 120 rand…
“no” I say “that is a shame but she really doesn’t have that much.”
So he asks me, his bright white teeth peeking out from his smile, “Tell me, how much DOES the dear lady have to spend?”
Avery and I talk about spending all her money on this one wonderful thing instead of the pockets full of cheap trinkets like children often want to do… and she agrees that her decision is a good one…and she tells the man her offer… 100 rand.
He puts his hand on her shoulder and bends down to look her in the eye and says “Well, how about if your elephant costs 80 rand and then you have 20 rand left over to be able to spend somewhere else as well.”
How beautiful.
Billy and I came away with a woven basket and Madyline is saving her money for a drum in Rwanda.
I could have spent hours just browsing about…
Later…after a picnic lunch of cheesy sausages and gherkins… we took a walk through the gardens. Ah…if I ever lived here in Johannesburg, I would spend my hours wandering and meditating and writing in this park… soaking in the serenity. Even if I dont' live here in Johannesburg, I might dream of this place as I walk through the woods back home. That's what it was today... dreamy.
The kids are doing better… still not going to sleep until WAY too late and then a bit short tempered… but they are holding it together amazingly and we are so proud.. and blessed to be able to share this with them… and to have this day of rest with people who have grown dear to us in just a few short days.
Tomorrow we spend the day in Zandspruit.

11 comments:
Hello!
I have been trying to keep up with your adventures!
Thinking of you all!
Miss Becky Wade
When Apartheid ended and the African National Congress under Nelson Mandela came into power in South Africa in 1994, the national holidays were changed to days that would be meaningful to all South Africans.
21 March: Human Rights Day
On this day in 1960 the police killed 69 people at Sharpeville who were participating in a protest against the pass laws. Many were shot in the back. The carnage made world headlines. Four days later the government banned black political organisations, many leaders were arrested or went into exile. During the Apartheid era there were human rights abuses by all sides; Human Rights Day is but one step to ensure that the people of South Africa are aware of their human rights and to ensure that such abuses never again occur.
lovely
simply lovely
Hey, I called you yesterday, but you weren't there. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.
You are bringing to light some wonderful stuff. I would have loved to have thought about it and given you money to get me one of these beautiful items. The story of Avery's elephant is so precious.
Can't wait till you return. Specifically, I can't wait until we can see each other and talk about your adventures over a hot chocolate (or a frozen margarita)
awesome.......we are so blessed to share in your journey! I am so inspired by your eloquent descriptions. Thank you for sharing your visions of God. He is so amazing!
Blessings,
Marie
Hey all.
Checkin in with you all, looks as though all is splendid. Continue on dear ones.
Holly Visser
hello to all... thank you for popping in. We are good... let me post some pictures from today. My internet connection is slow so it takes awhile.
Tracy,
Thank you for keeping us updated! Your photos are beautiful. I'm praying for all of you.
Ah, photos posted almost successfully for the day... it wouldn't take a few for whatever reason.... kids are asleep but i'll answer a couple questions for them... Ken.. I dont' know how I missed you. Must have had my hair under the dryer or something :O). I like my margarita with sugar around the rim.
Rebecca... sweet dear... you would sing here too. Avery's elephant is carved from wood.. brown. Harrison was surprised today with God's love. After his prayer last night... this is what we experienced today.. his words were to me "Mom... this is a day that will be in my heart and my mind for my whole life". Yes my dear... I truly pray it is true. Madyline didn't sleep at all on the way over on the planes... and we all suffered a bit for a few days... but she has evened out and I am amazed at how absolutely perfect my children are being here. SOmething about the south african air that does them well I think. I am so proud!
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
We, too, wondered how the conversion rate worked! So here is a conversion of Avery's spending money!
Enjoy
Sharon and Brantley
Ooops, the link doesn't "save" my information.
I chose South African Rand for the first option and American Dollar for the second.....then typed 80 to get the conversion rate.
Go experiment.....it's quite interesting!
Post a Comment