Monday, March 20, 2006

Hello, Hello...

After 22 relatively easy hours on airplanes... we have safely arrived in South Africa.
Experiencing the first flight with the children was a wonder that filled our hearts to overflowing. There was timidness and uncertainty and holding hands across aisles. There was gasping and giggling as they wondered at the marvel of tiny villages below. There was joy in the tray tables and the new surprises in their backpacks and the endless multitude of movies they could dial up on the screen on the back of each seat. We tried to sleep as we crossed the Atlantic Ocean... really we did. Harrison and I attempted every sort of entanglement to find a comfy spot. In the end, we decided on the "no touching"position and slept for about two broken hours of dozing. But we arrived with wide eyes to find a beautiful group of people waiting for us in Johannesburg and there were bells :O) ( we did not find our luggage waiting for us there... but that is another story all together).
I'll just tell a story about our first morning here because it is swirling in my heart right now... Expect photos and more stories any time I can access an internet line. I love you all! Truly I do.

This morning ... church under a blue and white striped tent in the informal settlement (read here "shanty town"") of Zandspurit.
Oh the singing and dancing.
Oh the sweet dripping moment as they shout "Ah-mane" in response to each sentence of the preacher.
Oh, the sweet dripping moment as every man and woman began praying... together... out loud.
Praying so earnestly and raw... lips moving so rapidly there was no question the words were not forming in minds that weigh every phrase - but flowing with energy that originates from the very heart core. The chatter and noise was swirling around the tent with an energy matched by none other I have experienced... growing in intensity ...
.... and my voice joined in.
Almost involuntarily drawn out by the Spirit that swam in the richness of that space.
I sang a soft, dreamy melody - - weaving it's way in and out of the voices. The voices praying and crying.
... and the song danced around and throughout the voices...
... and I saw clearly for just a moment that in that place... the noise of all those people rising at once sounded loud and chaotic in that tent... but each one of them, right in that place, laying their lives out in front of the throne of God , was a beautiful song - and He hears each individual voice , each heart, like a dreamy melody in his ear - an intimate whisper singing through the symphony of all the prayers being lifted to Him. And in His grace and goodness, He chooses to whisper back to each in the undeniable voice that can only belong to Him.
The voice that has been holding Billy and I up for the past year.
In that moment - I felt truly in the throneroom of our God -
- and I was amazed to find that today it looked like a blue and white tent.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi DiCoccos!
Glad to hear you arrived safely. Enjoyed reading your impressions of the worship service. What a prelude to heaven.

Our prayers are with you.

Maryanne Bartell

Anonymous said...

I will be watching from afar. Be safe and enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

My eyes are glued to your blog. Keep the updates coming. Love

Anonymous said...

What a blessing for my day. To read of the wonderful experiences. I pray for you daily. p.s. I bought "Invisible Children" rough cut.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Lou and crew,

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience... waking up someplace new and exciting... breathing in the new air... wow. i am torn. i am happy for you and a bit jealous. ;) If you want to fly home and swtich places you can. I have already had a ton of portraits today, paper jams, angry customers and just plain annoying-ness....

but this is about you... yeah for you! i am so happy for you! I checked your blog earlier today, and it wouldn't let me on, so i thought something was up and you were typing like mad.

on friday, i received your letter like 20 minutes to 5... i wanted to be evil and call you and ask how the traffic to the airport was, but i didn't...then while out with friends that night, i told them all about you... one said he dated a girl who had lived in Kenya while going to boarding school for a while... pretty cool... so even though you are 22 airplane hours away, it's a small world.

well, my lovlies... have fun, be safe and take photos!!!

xoxoxo
-hd

Anonymous said...

Hello Sweet Friends,
Tracy, I have been like a little kid checking this thing like crazy waiting for the moment that you would be on African soil and perhaps find a connection back to us. Thank you. The mystery there is already visible to you ~ I knew it would be. Love you guys J,B, and E

Anonymous said...

Big Smile.
this is too cool to hear that you're all there. Hugs to Tracy, Billy, Avery, Harry and Mady. thank you for taking the time to share from your heart; I want to be there too!!!
My prayer for you all is that your cranial harddrive has adequate space to save all of these incredible moments. Team Gebben (Paul,MO,Nick,Emma)

Anonymous said...

I, like everyone else, am excited to hear that you're there safely and soaking every moment up! I love how you embrace God's beauty. I'm excited to hear each of your children's experiences. I'm in continual prayer for your family and all of those around you in Africa.

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen!!
Glad to hear your travels were blessed with safety and you arrival blessed with His presence. Revel in the way He moves you on this trip!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you! I couldn't wait to read that you made it there safe. What an amazing morning. Blessings to you all in the coming days and weeks.
Bridgette

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! So great to hear from you. My heart was jumping and I was getting all these goose bumps while reading. After your message on my cell just before you left I felt helpless to do anything but continue to pray for you. It was good to hear that all is well, better even. Can't wait to hear about the next heart swelling moments...

Love, Christy