Monday, February 20, 2006

HOUSTON.... We have plane tickets!!

Okay, honestly, how amazing is that??
Bought and practically paid for
(please God make the IRS speedy in their refunding process so our check will beat our credit card billing cycle).
When Billy first said we were going to pull out the big MC (or is it the other kind? I don't even know). I began to panic. Really, I was a bit frantic. I mean, $10,000 is a LOT to put on a credit card when you haven't had a balance in over 5 years. Billy only uses that card for work stuff and occasionally on big purchases just to gather up the frequent flyer points... but we always pay it right off. Now, here we are playing "race the statement" with the IRS in the opposing gate. If they don't come through, the balance gets automatically increased with new interest accrued. 15% is a hefty sum when you are dabbling in bills this high. Oh this isn't good!! $1,500! We could almost afford to take an entirely 'nother person with us for that much money. This is absolutely not okay.



Then Billy calmly explained to me that 15% is the annual rate... the percentage rate for one month it isn't near that much... less than 1.5% . AND chances are good we won't even have to pay that because our time line is fine... billing cycle and all that information.

--sigh-- of course, that makes sense. --

So... now... with just under 4 weeks to go... we HAVE tickets!

And none too soon either... I was beginning to be afraid that we were going to have to enlist the services of Harrison's squishy car to drive us all the way to Africa.

As fine as it is... I don't think our luggage would have fit into the trunk.

4 comments:

Brantleysmom said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You all will be so excited on the night before that no one will sleep and everyone will dream!

YES, snow, in fact today is a "snow day" for Brantley and myself! Yes believe it! The snow saucer that you all gave Brantley a few years ago, now has hope of being used! At least we would use it if it weren't snowed in, at the storage facility, 10 miles or so away....*sigh*....whodathunkit?

No, well yes....as ar as the snow boots, Brantley has some that he is FINALLY getting to wear.(so yes for him) I buy them at the end of each year on clearance for the NEXT year as a "seed of faith" that we might get to actually wear them for the purpose they were designed for....me?? Me?? I play in the snow in my trusty berks..(so "no")..it works.....at least for a few minutes....I'm going to go eat some bread though and try those wrapper boots that you speak of!

Love, Us!

KatieKate said...

WOOOOOHOOOOO!

And, um, AHEM:
if you do in fact need to take another person with you, I'm happy to go. Especially if I need to buy Africa shoes.

Tell Harrison I'll watch his car for him.

madjeepgirl said...

wait..you're going to HOUSTON?

Anonymous said...

No... we aren't going to Houston. I was telling the entire city of Houston our exciting news.

I think.

sharon- I DO hope everyone will sleep... at home the night before, on the plane as we fly, and fly, and fly, when we get there and it is night time in SA but barely mid-afternoon in the midwest... sleep dicoccos... sleep...

Katie- buy the shoes... it will be great insentive to come visit us... if indeed...