
For all those training for the 2010 winter olympics right now....
Just so you are properly informed...
the luge can be quite dangerous.
Those 35 seconds of sheer pleasure seem a long time removed after sliding at high speed across the ice... on your face.
Just to let you know.
Because I am that good of a friend.

IN OTHER PARTS OF DICOCCO-VILLE
Avery created a family of pigs today. You know, she still isn't eating pork since that day just after her fourth birthday when she made the connection that pigs are food. We were traveling down the highway and passed a semi full of piglets. They were adorable... little round noses and big round bottoms with those curly tails all pressed up against the windows of the truck. There were hundreds of little pink snuffly things all wiggling about trying to get a view of the outside and a sniff of fresh air. But instead of being excited like I had anticipated... Avery was sullen. She finally musters the courage to ask the question that had been plaguing her.
"They stole those piglets from their moms... didn't they?"
I explained that no, the pigs belonged to the farmer and he was selling them. She said
"Yeah, but they didn't ask their moms.They stole them from their moms and now they are going to kill them."
We talked about how we have to kill animals and plants so we can have food to eat. Pigs give us bacon and sausage ...
"Yeah, yeah, mom.... and pepperoni... I know."
A silence falls over the car... and I figure after a while she has forgotten the sadness of the destiny of the cute little piglets... I mean, she is barely four years old. ...but after a few miles a little voice comes from the back seat....
"I don't think I want to eat pigs any more."
And she hasn't... for two and a half years.

4 comments:
WAY TO BE, Maddy! Way to literally take it on the chin. The Olympics are tough...made for tough people like you and me.
And Ava...oh, sweet girl.
I love the piglets. They're awesome.
Question for Avery...is it just pigs? or all animals? I mean, little chickens have GOT to be cuter than pigs, yes?
Other than that...Avery seems like a gal who sticks to her guns. Good on ya!
diana, Don't give Avery any ideas. She is strong-willed enough to give up pigs. Let's not lead her into the the land of veganism. (ha ha)
As for Avery, I always felt that her, as a 4 year old, had a lot more detication and commitment than I do, as a 20ish year old. I have been proud of her and bragging of her for so long. The duration of her commitment.
As for Madyline. I love her and have the need to tell her that she has kept me from trying the bobsled or luge. For that reason alone she can feel that her trial was not in vain.
leesh-
you should move up here where it actually gets cold enough to snow so your kids can try it too!
Post a Comment