Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Meanwhile, Rick James....

There has somehow been a miscommunication between my body and the world it inhabits.

It is 12:30 in the morning.

My dearest friends and family will gasp at this news.. because they know that I am not at all a midnight kind of girl. I have been known to fall asleep on guests who stay past 10:30.

... unfortunately it has happened more than once.

Maybe it is the yellow fever/typhoid war.
Maybe it is that I indulged myself with Dr. Pepper today... twice.
Maybe there is something going on in the world right now that I need to somehow be a part of.

I laid in my bed for just over two hours.
I found every comfortable position and laid in each one till it was no longer comfortable.
I listened to my own heart beat and counted backwards from 100 and tried to spell all the books of the Old testament.
And in the end... I figured I'd share a couple very important items from today (which is actually yesterday because it is 12:30 in the morning) .

First: Remember how I got to sleep in this morning? Remember the lovely pancakes? Did you think ahead to realize that for me to get to sleep in, the kids would have to get themselves ready for school while Daddy made breakfast?

Apparently, this is what Avery wore to school today...

Second: Thank you, to my brother, who called ONLY to remind me that my super fab favorite band is playing tonight in KC and we are missing it even as we speak.

Thirdly: I'd like you to meet my friend, Silas.

I took Silas along with me to the clinic to provide moral support when I got my immunizations yesterday. We are all in the little room talking to the nurse and he is telling us a story about how he is there to hold my hand, but he might not hold my hand because he might be covering his eyes with them (which he did). The nurse recognizes that he is super adorable (which he undoubtedly is) and begins to engage him in conversation by asking him questions... questions about his age, his school, his family... Silas is eagerly having this conversation and begins telling more stories when all of the sudden he stops abruptly and straightens his little body and looks around and says....

"Hey wait a minute... if this dr. appointement is for Tracy, how come you keep on asking me the questions and it is all about me now?"

"Silas," I raise my eyebrows at him "Are you a little worried that maybe I tricked you into coming and you are the one getting shots today?"

His eyes are soaked with questions ... how much do I trust her?... and through this heartbreaking little plastic smile he laughs nervously ... his eyes flashing momentary panic and he says "yes".

I assure him that I will be the only one poked that day...
... and he immediately relaxes and continues with his story of how he would like to have the superpower to turn into a porcupine someday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that fashion that Avery is sporting is slated for the next release of various fashion mags. She is lucky to have a dad that is so in tuned with his daugters surroundings and allows his family to "make" the trends instead of follow them!

KatieKate said...

BILLY!!!!!
Your name is BILLY!
And Avery's cool.
She could have been more creative in the hairdo department,b ut perhaps that was the "understated" part of her look.

the dicocco gang said...

you know... she never does anything fancy with her hair... and that is odd because in all other respects she is the princess of fashion. I just asked her about it and she said "My hair looks great down as it goes like this"

Anonymous said...

I think that Avery looks wild and wonderful...and has a very cool dad! But I must say that she gets most of her fashion sense from her big sister, Madyline!! (Note to Madyline: Please forgive me for not remembering your birthday!! I promise to make it up to you if you give me some hints...:)
Love ya! Aunt Ellen