Tuesday, January 24, 2006


Inside myself teems an army.


I know because I watched as the nurse put them there.

A rebel army seething with typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis.

They are weakened and wounded.... but still they fight.


I am strong enough to conquer them....

.... but I am tired from the effort of it....


and the battle rages on


and I am tired
...........but I am strong
.........................I am a warrior princess


and I get up
and I go shopping for shoes
to defy the rebel armies
to laugh in their faces as they struggle to survive.


I go shopping for shoes that will carry me, on two strong legs, into Africa.
Into the bursting cities where life is good, but dangerous.
Into the villages where poverty swallows entire communities alive and it's teeth are gates that lock them in 'till they can fight no longer and slide deep into it's belly.


My new shoes
and my strong body
will take me into a place where perhaps I will delicately hold a child,
and the hand of a mother,
who are also warrior princesses...
... but without the weakened version of the army that I am battling today...
-the precious immunization-
the virus is too strong when it reaches them-
- - - -and it is winning.

Today I rest and recover from my immunizations. I let my body do wondrous things that I can not see even though I feel the effects of in a groggy way.

Billy and the babes let me sleep late this morning... and made me breakfast...

Truly-
I am strong
I am loved
I am sleepy
...and for some unfathomable reason... I feel the compulsion to make a quilt to snuggle deep inside of.

9 comments:

KatieKate said...

picture of the Africa shoes, please

diane said...

tracy,
i've read your blog for quite some time...since it's inception, actually. but too shy to post. i notice that you suffer from the same affliction. i actually met you once at church. you were talking to Julie Harkless and i interrupted you and said something like, "hey? aren't you in the Global Learning Forum? me too!" i'm so gifted with words.

more later. must sleep.
diane

Anonymous said...

shoes will have to come later k8. I've had to order the ones I wanted... hopefully you will see them wiggling in worship soon.

diane... crazy funny. Are you still a part of the forum? I was also taking the perspecitives class and just couldn't keep up with both. It's been too long since I was in student mode I suppose. As far as being clever when you meet someone...I have a longstanding history of that very ailment with rb. No matter what opportunities I am given... even when he is looking straight at me and giving me the most beautiful compliment and all I have to do is smile and say "thank you"... I suddenly find I have nothing intelligable to say. Period.

KatieKate said...

Yea! We're breaking Diane out of all kinds of shyness! Speak, Diane, speak!

diane said...

Ahem...ladies...if I may...

I find it ironic that you are luring me out of my shyness and are grateful for my comments, but you have yet to comment on my blog! Hmmm...what have you to say for yourselves?

And i'm not self-promoting at all... i promise!

had a conversation today with my students about skinny-dipping. interesting.

Brantleysmom said...

There is no "I" in team, nor are there two "e"s.

The teacher said.

I keep reading, but have little time to write, keep blogging!

the dicocco gang said...

hey... give me a little credit... even in a virus laden stupor I know my poetry words...

Teem: v. teemed, teem·ing, teems
v. intr.
To be full of things; abound or swarm:

next time I might use "Oft" or "asunder"...

... no, I challenge you to form both of those words in a sentence that you could use in every day language.

Brantleysmom said...

I lost my sOFT sock, I think it wAS UNDER the bed.

K, you are correct....I'm not poet :)

Did I tell you lately that I love you and think of you all, wishing great things only in your direction?

Anonymous said...

Big obnoxious gaffawing!!! HA!

You make me laugh from my toes... and I desperately need that today...

... sigh....

and, on the other note... thank you. It gets muddy sometimes (the direction part... not the 'you love me' part).