
SO today, looking in my refrigerator, I realized that before the gallon of milk that is in our fridge expires (assuming it doesn't explode first) , we will have purchased our plane tickets to Africa.
Bonafide -- solidified -- absolutely for real -- five seats on an airplane. An airplane that will be swirling with the energy of our excitement , our fears , our exhaustion , our dreams and prayers and stories - for hours (and hours and hours). An airplane that will bring us all the way to South Africa... and after South Africa, to Rwanda.
Now, our plane won't actually take off for a few more weeks after that so I'm actually getting ahead of myself here. We will be able to finish the milk in good time before our new red bags are packed (thank you mom and dad) and we toast our mugs of cocoa in love and prayers as we say goodbye to expectant, but teary eyed friends....
... but the very tickets that will be our tickets for this journey have to be purchased by January 30th.
... and that date is closer than the milk in my fridge.

2 comments:
I'm so excited for your trip to Africa. My sister lives in East Africa and I have made the trip twice. It certainly is a long one! (if you fly through London Heathrow you'll be stuck in the international hanger #4, there is a free shower by Gate 9! Pack your carry-ons accordingly! You'll want a free shower by then!)
Keep us all informed!
diane!
I am so glad you showed up in dicoccoville. I have been reading your blog too... and i like you a lot... but am lame enough to figure you as kate's new friend and I don't want to appear greedy and want to love on all the new people.
Yes, long trip indeed... we won't be flying through Heathrow (which would have been great as I have friends not too far from London... ) we are barely touching down in Amsterdaam before we leave for Niarobi.
Imagine with me, if you will.
The DiCocco family with our three children will rouse from our "stay in your seat for 8 hours" stupor and wake those creaky muscles by sprinting across the international airport in Amsterdaam at lightning speed to try and catch our connecting flight with less than an hour layover.
On the return flights home, we have 6 hours in Nairobi and another 6 hours in Amsterdaam. Lots of time to go on a treasure hunt for free showers!
But on the way there... not so lucky.
Post a Comment