Pizza... sicilian style ... trace style
I have been worried about missing out in Italy. Missing out on great food... pasta, bread, pizza. How can we be Italian and allergic to gluten? I love salad, and the meat and cheese anitpasto makes your mouth melt. By day three though, I am craving the pasta dishes and pasteries.
Yesterday I've learned a fantastic thing. The Italians understand my allergy - I'm for serious.
I made my own pizza crust at home and took it TO the pizzarria. We uttered the magic phrase "Posso mangiare solo cose senze glutine" (I can only eat foods with no gluten) and with smiles and nods... my pizza crust was filled with all my favorite items and cooked up in a special oven and I had Italian pizza last night!
Pizzarrias here in Sicily are really interesting things. There is no pizza before bedtime.
Every weekday, around 12:30, everyone quits working, all the shops close, and it is offically "respota"... time for a rest. A late lunch, maybe a nap. In the late afternoon, when people head back to work, the pizzarias begin warming up their big stone ovens... with a wood fire. It takes a few hours for the stones to get toasty enough to bake a pizza. They scrape the wood and embers to one side of the oven and about 7:30pm open for business to start twirling dough and loading it with fanciful toppings and sliding them in to the stone oven to bake to perfection. The heat lasts till about 11 or 12 when it's time to close up shop.

9 comments:
oh you are a princess!
Darling.
That is so incredibly fantastic.
Imagine busting into Pizza Hut here with your own crust! Not likely. I am glad you are literally getting to taste the reality of Italy. or IT-ly, as my family says.
Please come home.
I mean, please have fun and enjoy yourselves over there. Hug Bill(y) for me. And the kids. And have someone hug yourself for me. Make sure they are a tad taller so as to get the full effect.
Ha ha, I was just about to make the SAME comment about Domino's!
I think I am vicariously living out my heritage through you and your family! Maybe I'll get to Italy someday!
K8 - are you saying I'm short?
It's okay...
I can't actually hug Bill(y) as we sent him off on a plane yesterday and today he spent the day in South Africa. His email to me... "I made it safe and happy, so did our luggage. When you come will you bring more pistachios?"
It's all about the food.
I miss you too.
Not short! I just have an abnormally long torso! And I want the hug to be height-accurate. Just a tad taller. Like .7 inches or something.
I am now hungry for some good pizza. OMGoodness does that ever look divine. I think food in heaven will taste like pizza and pistachio ice cream. Yummy!
I just still can't believe y'all are not here. Totally not real yet. :(
Laura, me neither. I mean, it feels like we are on vacation in Italy... but not like Italy is halfway across the world and not like we aren't fully going home when we are done. I had a strong wave of homesickness when we were ready to leave NJ... but I'm waiting for the rest of reality to set in.
Jamie... you like pistachio ice cream? Wow... do we have some here for you!
Post a Comment