Wednesday, December 19, 2007


The tooth fairy is coming
to our house tonight...

twice.


yup... my guys seem to loose teeth in packs. I remember one week, when we were visiting Grandma and Papa, we had FIVE visits from the toothfairy between three children. It might have even only been between two children at that point - I am fuzzy on the details.
Avery actually lost TWO teeth last week - she swallowed the first one along with a mouthful of popcorn, and then literally lost the other at Elijah and Sebastian's house. We still aren't sure where it is. Tonight, this tooth was barely wiggling... she kept trying to convince me that it was loose, but I couldn't feel anything at all. Finally she says "you have to PINCH it on both sides and then you can tell." It was wishful thinking.... and yet... 10 minutes later she came back to me with a rather gruesome molar in her hand and a grin on her face. Oh, I really hope this was a baby tooth!
Along with Harrison's completely silver tooth that he lost late last night (after tooth fairy hours) that brings our count up to FOUR lost teeth in the last 7 days.

So for tonight, at 9:40 when I am weary from an emotional week and a busy day... the tooth fairy is heading out in the cold to find appropriate fairy related items. Our kids have never gotten the standard offering of cash under their pillows...although at this moment, that is very tempting. (What is the going rate for a tooth these days?) Our fairy brings things like toothbrushes, sugarless gum, and fancy flavored toothpaste. It is a bit lumpy to sleep on... but makes more sense to me in the long run. Besides, how else do you get kids excited about dental floss? Seriously. They have always had a great time picking out treats for each other when the time comes... but tonight, I'm on my own. Forgive me if I procrastinate. I am warm and snuggled in and more than ready for bed... I don't want to go back outside. Ah, but the excitement as they lay on their pillows knowing the treasures they cover. I'll go... I'll go... just give me another minute. Although, if I don't hurry, D&W will close and I'll have to go the .... uhhhumm... "International Meijer" in the middle of the night.... which is usually fine.. but with the week I've had... I should just stack the odds in my favor and make sure I get to D&W.

This has begun as an emotional week, with a good foundation, but emotional none-the-less.
Amazing news swirling throughout this story

... in the past 5 days... we've had 5 people say "I want to be one of your 40" !!

This is seriously happening.
We are moving to South Africa apparently.
I"ll keep you involved.
Woah.
I wonder if the tooth fairy will know where to find us when we get there.

8 comments:

KatieKate said...

Hey, that's a great idea about no quarters under the pillow! Maybe a little cellophane sack with super fun stickers (of teeth of course) and fun toothpaste! Thanks for the hint.

And I think the fairy will know where you are. She and Santa work off the same database.

Grace said...

And the Easter bunny too! Don't forget the Easter bunny.

I'm so excited for you guys that your dream is actually on the brink of being fullfilled. We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I find that inflation has also affected (or is it effect...or maybe both) the tooth fairy.

My kids come home from school saying things like "The tooth fair gives Johnny $1 for regular teeth and $3 for molars."

Geesh.

We made a rule not to let the tooth fairy into the child's room that is over 10.

On the South Africa note...I am completely exited for your family! We Vander Kooi's pray for you often. Yet, selfishly, I wish you were staying. I'm gonna miss you.

And THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU for your beautiful words to me. It really means a lot when people are so loving and encouraging.

the dicocco gang said...

yeah... but funny - the easter bunny doesn't show up around here. We don't do surprise baskets... Bill(y) and I do hide plastic eggs filled with love notes and IOUs and candy in the back yard...

and Christmas, yeah... don't hate me for this one Mom, but Santa doesn't stop here either. I was just always gumpy about the idea that I had to buy my children two fabulous gifts... and give the credit for one of them to someone else.

and you guys... thank you. We are blessed beyond imagination by you guys who are loving us and praying for and with us. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to answer that one. Like Jae & David we were never going to do the Santa thing. It was you who told us we had to....then we had to carry it on only to have teenagers telling each other, "Hey, you have to believe in Santa or you won't get a stocking."
Remember those gifts marked, "From the Walmart Santa"? Or, "From Dad in a red suit"? or other silly things that your dad wrote?

the dicocco gang said...

Yeah... I totally remember "To Tracy / From: A Garage Sale" and stuff like that on christmas tags.... this coming from a father who once wrote a "please excuse my daughter's absence from school" note with a long story about how I had been abducted by aliens.

No, I dont' remember ever BELIEVING in Santa... I just remember always having Santa at our house- cookies and milk and all.

maybe we were just scheeming for the double presents all those years and you fell for it :O)

Miss Laura said...

My six-year-old friend Saidee (aka the most well-versed flower girl EVER) showed me her VERY loose tooth yesterday and I urged her several times to stop wiggling it, because I'd heard through the grapevine that the Tooth Fairy and Santa would like a Secret Rondezvous this week.

Hooray for five! Pray, pray, pray. If some people out there are willing to split #27 with us, we might be able to swing that...I'm hoping. It's time for the Yearly Budget Reassessment...fun!

the dicocco gang said...

27 and a half works for us!
Thanks for even considering it...

did Sadiee's tooth hold out till Christmas?