
School in the woods today -
Billy and I decided that when someday we do live in South Africa and we come home to visit - we will always come home in October. For serious - this is my best time of year. So, if you are dreaming up something special - start making plans for October. This also means that we will be always in town for the annual hayride at TexasNorth which makes me immeasurably happy. I mean, for real... cider AND glowsticks?
I think I might have said this before - often if you hang around me much.... The crisp air just swirls around inside my lungs and fills up my bones and I feel alive after an oppressive summer's sauna. I found myself over-extended once again this autumn... maybe instead of fussing over all I've already missed, I will just move my computer into a tent in the backyard so I can do all my post processing work AND fill my fresh air quota. For today, Madyline, Harrison and I took our schoolbooks out to our favorite trail here in the city that we sneak to when we only have an hour or so.


We all buried our feet in the sand and wrote poems about the acorns we had collected.

little acorn
inside you carry
a mighty tree
roots twisting, anchoring down deep into the earth
oak branches sprawling - perfect for climbing and
nestling into your arms
hiding in your pockets of blazing red and orange leaves.
Now you are tiny and fragile
a squirrel can hide you
or I can pick you up and put you into my pocket.
-trace
.
.

4 comments:
As it is still "last night" in the States, I'll say, Just tonight I was thinking about the season, thinking that here's a year when you could have come to Cameron (or Joplin) for trick-or-treating in our little town. Great times--great memories.
it is still "Last night" at my house... and I am still awake. Billy and Avery are gone and I always have a hard time going to bed when Billy is far away.
It's funny that you and I are on the computer at the same time... Monday night for me - but you have already slept and woken up and it is Tuesday morning at your house.
The other day, the kids were actually remembering trick-or-treating in Cameron. I am pretty sure we were there twice. Once on 8th and once at the Darby House. They are good memories. Any memories with family is good memories now that we are all so far apart.
I want to make a large print of that picture that is on the top of this post... Can you email me to orinigal so I am able to do that. It is an amaizing picture, in fact it is so picture that it looks fake the sky, the clouds, the trees.
I just had to stop by your blog today and tell you how much I love it!!
You write beautifully Trace!
Post a Comment