Monday, March 26, 2007

We've returned from Colorado... but even though we are home again, we are seeing things with fresh eyes. The combination of our being gone for nearly a month, and the arrival of spring has brought up some pretty strong feelings of nostalgia. Highlighted certain aspects of life here that are valuable to us.

So, here is my current list of

Things we are going to miss when we move to South Africa:

(in no particular order- and people aren't included
because YOU are a given and I can't even talk about missing you yet!!! )

- fresh milk from the farm- and the way it separates and the cream gathers at the top of the bottle and we have to shake it and it is so rich and creamy.

- Mars Hill - no commentary, if you already get it, then you'll get it.

- being a part of the worship team - okay, this is the one I might cry about, so bear with me here. Last night I was a grump. No, it's true. Billy is out of town, The kids and I had been at church all day, hadn't eaten anything but a few raw carrots & snap peas and a piece of cheese. We ran out to get dinner and realized I had left my debit card in my jeans on Saturday. So we came back to church for the 6o'clock hungry and discouraged. Just before we began to sing, I said to Jamie "I am in a really foul mood, so I sure hope God takes over this worship set for me... because i don't feel anything but annoyance and exhaustion... and I'm not going to be a good leader tonight." But God did what He always does when I close my eyes and worship in the middle of a circle of thousands of people. Before I even realized it, I was crying and I was dancing and I forgot I was grumpy because there wasn't any reason to be grumpy after all. I was in the presence of God. Now, don't get me wrong. It's not that I can only feel that much energy when I am behind a mike in front of the crowds... but.. and chime in here fellow worship teamers... there is something that has it's own life when I am in the middle. Maybe it is just louder there, I don't know... but I feel alive somehow.

- our favorite restaurants - Marie's, Bombay, Little Mexico, Bangkok, Tokyo Grill. We've been home a week and I've eaten at two of them already... and planning on a third this week!
Kenny and Lynette took us to Oklahoma Joes - a KC bbq place in a gas station - while we were visiting them - check out the flickr pictures... it was a treat for sure. Burnt ends and dill pickle slices... oh yum.

-and while we are talking about food... dr. pepper . Which I miss already since I have given up all refined sugar for lent. Did I tell you the joke about how at MTI we got the room 16 steps away from the dr.pepper fountain that was open 24/7 ?? Ha ha... funny joke God.

- going out for a run or a bike ride -or- going on a walk to the ice cream shop and stopping at the playground- South Africa isn't exactly the place you can do that kind of stuff.

- PJ Hoffmaster- just being an hour away. Trail hiking, beach bumming, sand dune climbing, camping. Good memories. It is a safe place for us.


We still have a lot of monthly funding to have pledged to us... and our house needs to sell before we actually have to say goodbye to all we hold dear. So, let's soak them up together... as much as possible in these next few months. Whaddya say?

5 comments:

Lynell Shooks said...

oh, trace, you looked just in love with jesus while you sang last night.

and you didn't give off ANY grumpy vibes.

Anonymous said...

Isn't if funny what you miss--or will miss? I know that when you get there you will find other things even sillier that you miss.

We miss "Sam's Wrap", the plastic wrap they have here won't stick to anything. We had to send some back at Christmastime.

the dicocco gang said...

lynell- thanks... it is true. That is honestly how the night ended up... and THAT is why I love coorporate worship.

mom- i will bring you sams wrap if you are running low. I'm sure it's worth the price of a ticket to Italy... yes??

Anonymous said...

I didn't see nachos...from BIRCH on that list....

nor did i see random wedding stories...

and i know you weren't going to mention missing friends, but what about heather's stories about her wacky "friends" that you've never met!?!?! ;)

miss you lots and we need nachos soon... i am dying for some good laughing/venting!

xoxoxo
-hd

p.s. love you bunches!

redmaryjanes said...

Hello there!
I am a business associate and friend of you Bill! It's me Kimberley. This is my first official post on your blog and I am excited to follow your family on its journey. I think that it is truly inspirational and I know that our family will grow so much by watching you all put faith into action in South Africa.
Please follow us as we strive toward the adoption of Sophia from China.
Have a wonderful day!!