Saturday, December 16, 2006

Billy and I both had interesting conversations
with each of our girls last night.


So last night, Avery and I were out on a date while Madyline was at my sisters and the boys were scheming christmasy things. Over dinner, Avery's and my conversation drifted to naturally peter pan and how the play is so much better than the cartoon. She begins quoting an especially favorite scene in the play where Tinkerbell tells Peter that Wendy is a "silly ass" . Avery thought that was pretty funny,. Sitting at the table in our favorite local (and very small) restaurant, Avery said it again... "silly ass" and giggles before saying it again, this time with more feeling. "silly ass!".

I felt , at this point, that I needed to play the part of the responsible parent and tell her that when the person wrote the book peter pan, "ass" was just another name for a donkey... it wasn't a nice thing to say, but they were basically saying that someone was stubborn and fussy like a donkey. But in our world, people have abused that word and turned it in to a bad thing... so now when someone says (or hears) the word "ass" it is a bad way of saying "butt".
(side note: in our house, butt is bordering a swear word, so for me to say that ass is a bad way of saying butt was ment to make an impact).
Avery thinks about it for a minute and laughs that tinkerbell called wendy a silly butt... and then tries out her new swear word again... "silly ass". I said out loud to her that I'm going to bet, if she called someone an ass on the playground at school, she was going to end up in Dr Knoester's office in a bit of trouble. She says in a silly way 'yeah , but then I would get kicked out of school and I could just stay home and play gamecube all day". I assured her that if she was kicked out of school for using bad language, her consequence would NOT be along the lines of playing video games all day. She rolled her eyes and said "All right... you could spank me and then I could play gamecube."


Clearly not intimidated. I"m sure it didn't help that I was laughing the entire time.


I repeated that story to billy after he told me that Madyline came home from Jae's saying "kick your ass" after hearing the phrase it on Friends. They had had a similar conversation to Avery's and mine. Funny how that had crossed worlds on the same exact night.


Today, it came up again in the car... so we all five talked about using our words wisely and it's not always what we say but the heart in which we say them... you know, all that good parenting stuff that we tell our children and then feel like we have done well...

... tonight, as the kids are getting ready for bed, Madyline is cleaning up her things from the living room and I hear her say out loud, to no one in particular

... "you can kiss my donkey".

... and in response Avery, in the complete other room...

mutters to herself... "silly ass".

8 comments:

Mike and Chris said...

Ironically (un)realted story.. tis the season and it was just at the same time of year that we were all going to look at Christmas lights one night in the Zepher. I remember going to Carthage and looking at the lights, and not that I remember how or where but just that this happened. There was a time that we were looking at the lights and someone somewhere "cut dad off" in the driving sence of the the phrase and Dad got upset. He said something to the effect of "I should just ...... gruffffff" to be literal with his words. My brother to finish the sentence said" He should just F@*k You".....Om My Gosh the quietest half a sencond in the world forever. At the time I had never seen the movie "The Christmas Story" but as I saw it for the first time I was so reminded of the time in that movie that he said "Fudge" on the side of the road as they were changing the tire. To bring the irony to the same subject as well as throw in a Christmas phrase again "Tis the Season" for profanity I guess?

Mike and Chris said...

I get in trouble for saying butt as well........Micha tells me, "it is a bottom!" When she says that I really feel like I am doing a good job at parenting

Brantleysmom said...

Speaking of (or reading about) Micha....I think I have her sweater....did you leave one at my mom's?? Mom thinks it's Logan's, but I assured her it wouldn't be as it is pink....NO, she insists that it's Logan's.....by digging out picture's and pointing right at him....silly momma!.........can I have your address??
Sharon

the dicocco gang said...

i don't remember that story at all... oh my goodness... where was I?? If we were in the famwag... he must have been just a little thing! dang

JaeLynn said...

Trase, we had the FFG until Ken and I were like... 8 or 9 didn't we???

And btw.... in my defense I thought Mady was allowed to watch friends and after skipping through several episodes and fast forwarding a lot we decided that against Mady's pleading... we would turn it off. You really never know how bad something is until you have a kid in the room watching with you.

Anonymous said...

Not only do I not recall any bad words coming from Ken's mouth, I choose not to believe that would ever happen with any of my four perfect children. :)

I miss the FFG. Does anyone know how it got that name?

We all know Trace named it the FamWag.

the dicocco gang said...

I know!
I know the legend of the FFG...
... and I KNOW that Kenny does too...

Mike and Chris said...

I know how and in fact I remember the whole thing FFG 054 I also remember the next one, both of these are funny that I remember them becasue I have never known ANY of my own cars but I remember these. Does anyone rememebr the second one?
The address for Sharon is 2630 Iowa.