Monday, October 09, 2006

A very common question that has been popping up in conversation recently has been...

"how is home schooling going?"
my usual answer is ... "well, how is it going for whom?"

Madyline and I have both been on a learning journey in more ways that one. I recognize that her staying home this year was immeasurably the right choice. Yes, we are doing math and science and geography (this is week Mexico... with a feast on Saturday, you should stop by and celebrate!) But more importantly to me is...she is learning to relax... to respect... to enjoy... to plan and follow through... to express herself little by little... to let herself be loved... and which liquid concoctions she likes best at each coffee shop in town.

This afternoon we spent an hour looking at poetry ... and we decided to each write a poem about being at the coffee shop. I'll let her share hers with you in her own space and time.... but maybe you want to see mine.

Starbucks at noon
and she is distracted
by colors and flavors and art on the wall.
I buy her a coffee
swirling in caramel
and we sit down to focus, but still she does fall
into the conversation beside us
and the chemistry book of the girl 'cross the way...
while poetry floats in the air all around us
not quite making it onto her page.
She sips on her coffee
and scribbles a line
when the images grab her and flow from her pen.
Curled up in the blue chair
she's lost in her poem
and I'm struck with how beautiful she truly is.

4 comments:

diane said...

Love it.

I love it that you get to teach from the comfort of a coffee shop. Me? I beg my students to bring me coffee.

And they do, of course.

Anonymous said...

sounds like the coffee show is a place to go to express yourself.... and as distracted as maddy may be, you both managed to get a poem out of the experience... and all ya need is one to be famous! ;)

i love you girls... i want to write a poem... i usually have a great one started in my head before i can get to paper, then i lose it. shucks.

love ya!
-hd

Bob and Marianne said...

Maybe I should go to the coffee shop. That certainly beats my poem about Laffy Taffy.

diane said...

my grps email is down at home. hmpf. so if you tried to contact me today via grps...well...i'll get it tomorrow at school.

Texas North has the Quilt of Love. I told her she can't keep it. She has to hand it over. Tell her I said so.