Thursday, September 07, 2006

So… a bit more about our weekend …

Billy has found a new joy in playing in the dirt. Compost is his new friend – and wood chips – he can’t get enough of them. It is a shame for our garden this year that he is just finding his love for the earth… after I have already killed it all with neglect… but if he has anything to do with it… our garden will be a lush, lovely jungle when we return from Africa in two years. He was super excited with his score at Starbucks on Monday morning… a big old bag of grounds to sprinkle around our plants. Apparently coffee grounds are an excellent fertilizer. Who knew?
He gloats that our scraggly tomatoes are going to be supercharged in a few days time. Not only did he give them coffee grounds… it’s starbuck’s espresso.

Yup, I love it. Caffeine jolted produce.
Addictive tomatoes.


So… Monday we did go to Kate’s… and came home early enough to snuggle into bed to rest up before our first day of school. After everyone was clean and sufficiently read to and tucked into bed – I lay myself down (sigh) and begin to settle in with a Donald Miller book. Mady came in for one last kiss goodnight and said
“Don’t stay up too late… I don’t’ want a grouchy teacher tomorrow.”

Ah yes, and 6:30 comes super early after summers vacation.

I woke up before the alarm went off…
… and laying wide awake next to me was Harrison.
Dressed.
Madyline came in a few minutes later.
Dressed. Her room clean. Her teeth and hair brushed.
It was 6:15.
In the morning.

And that is when I smelled it… coffee.
Fresh coffee in my house.
Or not in my house…. Fresh coffee filling the air… coming in on the cool morning breeze…
Coffee….
coffee brewing... stirring us all awake like the Maxwell House commercials of yesteryear....
The smell of coffee grounds from the garden filling my house at 6:00 in the morning like the stinking Maxwell house commercials.


So… I don’t know about supercharged tomatoes… but it sure woke us up.


School went well… kids had a half day and we met Billy downtown for a picnic lunch.
Harrison likes his teacher, Avery likes her teacher, Madyline likes her teacher…

Today we tried to figure out how a round globe can be made into a flat page… I never knew there was distortion… but , alas, it is true.
Poor Greenland gains about 6,000 pounds in the translation.
Blogger is not my friend... maybe I just have too many pictures in my archives... I need to figure this out... or start a new site...
You can see our globe/flat map on flickr...

2 comments:

diane said...

Beautiful story-telling. I love it.

I love how we don't know that the beginning is tied to the end yet they are each separate stories.

I think you're fabulous.

Miss Laura said...

The Mercatur (sp?) Projection (what is widely used by cartographers) does indeed distort our perception of the world. In fact, did you realize that it also does so in a way that makes powerful Western nations look bigger? (Alaska is not ANYWHERE near as big as Mexico.) And, interestingly, they're all in the North...who decided that North was on top? Hmmmm? If you'd like to continue this lesson with Mady (and introduce her to the cultural implications), might I suggest a segment from The West Wing, Season One? It's about Big Ball of Cheese Day, in which organizations like Cartographers for Social Equality get an audience with senior staff at the White House. I know none of that made sense. I also know that the show is fictional, but the info on this segment is accurate. And funny. And presents an alternate (and accurate) map projection (Peters Projection). Let us know if you'd like to borrow.