Friday, September 01, 2006



And we have bread....

Yes, my first attempt at bread... well,

unless you count the other first attempt but I like to call that one "my first attempt at brick making" because if I call it that, I get to say that it was quite successful.

So here we are... true bread. Obviously I'll have to work on the presentation.. maybe invest in an acutal bread pan... but it was soft and the butter melted into it as the kids and I tried a bite.

Billy, hurry home from work so there will still be some left. Whether we eat it all this afternoon or it succumbs to bakery peer pressure and turns to a spongey tasteless loaf like most gluten free breads I know... I'm not sure it will last too long.

This is our last few days before school starts... both for the two classroom bound dicoccos and for the new and improved Teacher Trase and her wonder-student Mady. The kids visited their classes this week.... to snoop around and check out every corner. Harrison took his backpack, fully stocked. Madyline and I have written out our rough lesson plans for the entire month of September and visited the library to collect a managerie of books on mapping and geography and children of all nations. Our first two weeks will be a quick over view of the world and then we'll get deep into a new country every two weeks. First up... our homeland.. the good ole' USofA. But first, the lessons on latitude and longitude. I'll keep you informed of the interesting bits.

The summer has (you know what I am going to say) flown by... and I don't feel like we've done much of anything. Besides our trips to NJ and MO... we've been pretty boring this year. Not much hiking or beaching or exploring like usual. We've done LOTS of reading... and daily jumping on the trampoline. We've cleaned the house again and again (and again and again and you still can't tell we've touched it). We've spent lots of time at the farmers market and the library and the zoo. We've walked the the ice cream store more times than I can count. And the kids have logged miles on their bikes and scooter while traveling along side me encouraging me to run my best.

Last night, it was Harrison that was the best. We were doing the "biggest circle"... just shy of four miles. For an entire mile of it... we were apparently in a video game. He stayed close to me on his bike... and Each time we passed spraypainted markings on the sidewalk we earned "speed bonuses" and crossing the street gave us super powers and we earned double points for the next eight squares . There were sound effects... and tunnels to duck through and obstacles to smash. Apparently, I earned thousands of points... and we made it through the stretch without even remembering we were exhausted.

I think I might take him with me again.

5 comments:

the dicocco gang said...

Update on the bread..
In the time that it took me to write this entry... it cooled off and turned tasteless and dense and spongy...

... drat.

diane said...

double drat! I was so excited for you!

Can Harrison come with me to my First Day of School? I think it would be a lot easier to get through if he was making sound effects and cheering me on. Thanks. I'll even write a note to his teacher.

On one hand you said your summer was boring and on the other hand you listed 1000 fun things you did. Made me scratch my head a bit.

KatieKate said...

Are you any kind of experienced with a bread machine? We just found one (a wedding present hidden in the back of the pantry) while we were moving and I'm super psyched to use it but don't have any idea what to do? If I put strawberries in it will it make strawberry bread???

holley said...

I have two beautiful books on artisan bread that I'm exploring and hoping to make an attempt at something fun this weekend. -Keep trying, it will work one of these times.
And running, I'm disappointed that I couldn't join you.

the dicocco gang said...

diane- you will have enough excited energy on that first day... between the yellow paint and the coffee later... you will get through the day on sheer adreniline.

kate- yes, presto. strawberries turn magically into strawberry bread... sometimes there is even white sugar frosting on top like a strudel.

holley- my bread was definately "artisan"... if you loosely define art :O). I can't wait to see a picture of what you come up with... i've only seen magic come out of that kitchen of yours.