Thursday, July 27, 2006

the best news ever...


So next Wednesday is my birthday. Last year, Billy was practically living in Indianapolis and was gone for my birthday, so I spent the day tubing down a river with the kids and then spending the evening eating sushi with my girlfriends.
It was a fabulous-gluten-free-cake-kind-of-day.
This year, I've been trying to decide what fantastical things we could do together. Billy will have to work...so he is out, at least for the day-time adventures. And the kids and I are driving to Missouri on Thursday so it can't be anything too extreme... lots of driving the next day. So we are running through the options, trying to fit everything in and tie it up with a birthday ribbon... when Billy says "Well, we promised the kids we'd take them to Six Flags this summer with their reading coupons from school. Why don't we celebrate your birthday at home on Saturday and then on Wednesday, you can take the kids to Six Flags and be partway to Missouri when you start driving on Thursday?"

Just like that. He changed my birthday to Saturday.
I mean, this is amazing... we are crossing into an entirely different month and everything here.
Why didn't I know we could do this earlier?
I would have proclaimed it my birthday in the dredges of February when I could have used a pick me up... or in May during the end-of-school chaos when being a princess for a day would have saved me weeks of therapy.
But I am glad I didnt' know it earlier, because I'm not very good at self-control and I'm sure I would have spent my birthday long ago and had nothing to look forward to.
So there it is... my birthday is now Saturday.
Fabulous.

In other news... because there is always other news here in dicoccoville
...we ARE that interesting.
My mom got a call from the US Department of Defense last week Tuesday (the day before Sophia/Callie/Betty was born) inviting her to teach in a new school... in ITALY.
Because you know, why not?
And she and my dad said "YES"
... like you do when someone offers you a job in Italy.
and that is that. They are moving in a few weeks. I will give you more updates as I know them. For now, I know that if you are going to work for the Department of Defense, you have to be very good at filling out paperwork. Miles and miles of paperwork. ... and I know that the police department in Missouri only does fingerprinting by appointment on Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
Just in case you were curious.

No pictures today... blogger is being stubborn once again. Click over on flickr
... and did you know you can leave comments there too??
It is true. I wouldn't lie to you.
Talk to you soon... it's my birthday in two more days!
IN JULY !!

9 comments:

diane said...

well, well, well...You get to celebrate your birthday for 2 months! WoW!

So, you're saying you need adult companions for 6 Flags, eh? That gives me something to think about...

Love the pic of Owen in the Sand on Flickr. I think it captures his spirit.

the dicocco gang said...

update on the six flags fiasco...
... the kids earned three tickets through a reading program at school. "Read Read Read and you can go to Six Flags this summer". What they did not tell us was that the tickets are only for half the summer (they expire August 6) and that they are good nationwide, everywhere except Chicago.

I am not kidding.

Not the one in Chicago.

So... we are trading our Six Flags tickets for a theme park in Missouri that I grew up going to. (Mike and Christine... are you up for an adventure?? Dad promised me a ride on Fire in the Hole!!)

And now I am still stuck in the "what to do for my birthday" delima.

Anonymous said...

um...Happy (Happy) Birthday!!! How exciting! I didn't know you could change it either. This is good news.

Ask your mom if she needs an assistant while she's in Italy.

And Blogger won't let me do photos today either. FBLTTT!

Ken Fletcher said...

What's the date? Are you going to Silver Dollar City on Friday or Saturday? I don't want to change your plans, but if you are going on Sunday, I may be able to join you.

Keep me posted and I can't wait to see you.

Brantleysmom said...

The Wizard of Oz is on Friday Night. AND we have a slip n slide in our yard (AND an aero bed with your name on it!).....It's NOT 6flags and it's not Italy, heck it's not even ON your birthday.....but we ARE open 24 hours, 7 days every week. *wink* I also think that I can get you a Dr. Pepper with sonic ice pretty much around the clock......just offering up my .02 for the DiCoccos to consider.

the dicocco gang said...

Oh... the Doctor Pepper with the sonic ice has just about sold me...

Grace said...

Happy Birthday!

I love Fire in the Hole! I remember when I was a kid they had this yellow line that you were suppossed to wait behind, and if you stepped across it before the guy said you could, he threatened to kiss you! I thought it was soooooo funny! These days, though, he'd probably be sued by someone.

Anyway, enjoy your birthday, whenever it is now!

Grace

diane said...

1057 Fuller Ave SE

7 p.m. tonight.

Desserts full of gluten.

Oh, and cool people too...

Anonymous said...

we are glad you were born!