Wednesday, May 03, 2006



Okay, I'm calling out for my puzzle-loving math minded friends here...



This is Madyline's homework today...


What the heck?

First of all, let's look at the inconsistencies here...
the ease of questions 1 and 3
and the impossible cryptic chaos of questions 2 and 4.


I get the relationship between 8 & 5/ 15 & 12... there are obviously three less than the original number...

...but how do you find similarities in 27 & 3 / 108 & 12? I've added, subtracted, divided and done the square root canal thing... nothing materializes. It is completly abstract.... and yet, there is an answer hidden in the form of a concrete pattern that an 11 year old could figure out. An 11 year old! I haven't been 11 in a really long time. Obviously.
What is the hidden key to enightenment here?
Is there even indeed one or is this a clever scheme to frustrate parents to the point of distraction so the kids can sneak into the kitchen and get ice cream?


For real... do you know?
because I might be a little lost.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I figured it out! I figured it out!

I will not share my findings here - but allow others to share there views - especially on your "root canal" (ouch!)

~me

Anonymous said...

ping

Brantleysmom said...

*waving wildly and jumping around*.......I've got #2 figured....still nothing on #4, sorry....hint for Madyline:

sometimes math needs to make a rhyme
take the "in" and divide by ______

Tonight was the first night of my first Madters level course, I drove 30 minutes (a long ways on rural roads in Missouri) to find a "Class Canceled" sign......*sigh*.....the teacher is Dr. Mense.....Evan Mense from across the street on Jackson?? Remember him? Went to school with your mom?? Turns out his father passed away, so sad. I was sorry to miss class, but sad for him.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Math smath - I did not even attempt to look at that crap. But what I do want to tell you is that at my gym (boy do I sound buff) there is a belly dancing class on tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm and I would like you to go. Any of you - but expecially (i like to spell it better that way) Trac. I was belly dancing last night (which by the way I think I will bring a bottle of white wine to next time - you bring the glasses) and all I could think of was that I am very white and that Tracy should be here right now - but really how inappropriate while I was doing snake arms to call you from the gym and say - please could you come and belly dance with me and get here in like 19 minutes - go. Really. So I am inviting you now and I will call you too. It's grrrrrate (i like spelling it that way too)!
Julie

Anonymous said...

did you get #2 yet? I've got it, but I'm off to tackle #4. Keep up the good work & consider anesthetic for future root canals. Good thing Ian's not even in preschool yet. ~H

Anonymous said...

Phew. #4 done. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to cruise off to sleep tonite w/o figgering dis one out. Okay, the math geek came alive tonite. Thank you dicocco family. I actually liked #4 better than #2... Yes, I did say "liked" Just ask Nathan what a geek I am.

Ken Fletcher said...

#4
Seems the equation is:
in x 2 + 5 = out

Anonymous said...

Mady D

i like that - has a nice ring to it

Anonymous said...

first of all, tracy lou, are you cheating on me with another heather???? I read this and wanted to cry... you know how i feel about these things! what-ever! (so now that we know about eachother, heather e, I'm Heather Elizabeth...THE DICOCCO'S OTHER Heather.... and that's why I am hurt. oh...so is that why ava kept calling me hennifer and/or jennifer??? so she wouldn't confuse us???) ;) kidding. hhahahaha!


okay. so now I know there are other people out there just as confused by math as i am...now we all know why I dreaded that subject...and to thinki, it only gets worse when you start to add fractions, numbers, crazier symbols that look like a 2 year old drew them on a wrinkly napkin.....

maybe that's why it's kinda ironic that i am so close with a math teacher's family, now, huh? I still have customers laugh at me when i get out my calculator and paper and work on the wacky problems they have concerning numbers, discounts, etc with me... and i have them walk WITH me through the steps to avoid confusion...hahaha!


But sadly, as math-o-phobic as I am, I am obsessed with numbers... I looked at the problems, and some made sense to me... but i don't know if i was right or not...

also, it's like taking the MEAP, SAT, ACT, any test or homework sheet, etc... the examples are ALWAYS the easiest....they always re-state the obvious and rarely ever show you how to do the complex ones...

blast from the past...

: = is to
:: = as



Crumb:Bread :: splinter:wood....

now you try....

all the dishes rattle in the cupboards as the elephants arrive:Cake :: Hawk-a-luk-a-lee-lee: ?????








Answer...??????
Jack Johnson

the dicocco gang said...

WOW YOU GUYS!!
Talk about "taking a village to raise a child" !!
(Quick Jennifer... where did that one come from?)

Sharon- I told her your poem this morning and we both laughed. I miss you! HEY... how fun to have class under Evan Mense! I mostly remember that he was a cool college kid.. and that he had a tarantuala in a glass aquarium on his coffee table.

Julie- I am ALL ABOUT bellydancing... especially if I get out of math homework to go... and if we get wine. Sign me up! Wait... do we get to wear bells??

Heather- you rock and roll! Having fun? You can help me when I home school my kids!! Do you and Nate know about Monday night??

Ken- How DO you DO that? BING

and Billy- I knew you would know how... that is why we make such a good team!! Kisses to you my brilliant one!

diane said...

Good thing I didn't know about the math homework. I would've drawn little stick figures in for the answers. I don't get math.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! me too!! I got it!!
here's my add to for number 2: in - 135; out - 15

and the one for number 4: in - 97; out - 46

Thanks for stretching my brain

Mom

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should trade Bill out for Tracy in the Fletcher Family. I got it right off too.... just goes to prove that I really DID pass the 5th grade!!! .... "Oh, the cleverness of me!!"