Tuesday, February 28, 2006



So, while eating at the Q ,we become aware of a haze descending on the dining room. I believe Billy notices it first, and it is that moment of "really, do you think there's something wrong? Or is it just a strong breeze." I mean, it smells good... somewhat meaty and grill-ish... but it IS getting noticeably thicker.


and then the alarms started

...two of them

...blaring in off-syncopated sequence so you can't really catch the rhythm of it and so it is actually quite disturbing (which is, I suppose, what a good alarm should be).


The manager de'jour bustles past us tossing out a one word explanation ... "vent"... and he proceeds to prop open the door to let some of the smoke escape
- along with a handful of customers.
We look back into the kitchen to see smoke beginning to billow as flames are shooting up from the grill and licking past the window ledge separating the kitchen area from the burrito creating area.

At this point, we decide we are done eating today.

Yes, we'd miss the arrival for the fire engines.
We'd miss the mandatory evacuation.
Although, now that I think of it, we probably missed the complimentary "have a burrito next time on us" cards they most likely passed out after the drama had settled down.

But , yes, leaving seemed the wisest thing to do...
So we are topping off our diet coke and getting our coats on -
The smoke is billowing and flames are dancing and alarms are blaring...
and I ovehear the girl behind the counter shouting over the chaos...

..."WHAT KIND OF SALSA WOULD YOU LIKE ON THAT??!??!!"

... surreal...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...you know, the green salsa, the stuff that really burns in your mouth, not unlike those flames in the kitchen right now. That's the kind of salsa I'd like."

KatieKate said...

I can't believe you didn't stay for the complimentary "we almost killed you have a burrito" card.

Maybe I am, in fact, Dutch.

the dicocco gang said...

I know, can you stand it?

mr. chris said...

was that tonight after mars?

the dicocco gang said...

no.... but it was after mars... kids eat free on Sundays (wink)