Thursday, December 22, 2005

True Love

So last night at our church was the first two of four christmas services . I'm traveling there early to reherse with the band... when I hear a odd click click clicking all around me. You know that moment, when you are trying to figure out whose car the annoying noise is coming from? I swear I must have looked like a little prarie dog, jerking from side to side listening intently to locate the noise... and then I realize...the noise is following me so it must be my own fam-van and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be wearing tap shoes so this might be a problem.

So I call Billy and leave a message on his phone. "Hi sweets... don't freak out or anything, but my car is making a funny noise... kind of like it has something stuck in the tire but I'm not sure."

I hang up the phone, kind of proud of myself for remembering to tell Billy that something is not quite right instead of waiting until he gets into the car three days later and gets all worried because something is wrong and I say sweetly "Oh that? That's nothing... it's been doing THAT all week!".

Yeah, never a moment when children should be in the car with us.

ANYWAY... So, I am kind of pleased with myself as I pull into the lot at Mars, but I haven't totally forgotten about that clicking noise ... so before I head in, I walk around to see if I can see anything obviously wrong.... fully expeciting to NOT see a completely flat tire that is literally smoking.

Dang.
So I call Billy again and sigh after the tone. "Oh yeah. My tire is kind of flat. I'l'l have to worry about it after church though."
Billy comes to church an hour or so later. Yes he's seen the tire, no he's not upset. And then, after the first service, in the cold dark december night, he takes all three kiddies out there and lies on the ground amidst the freezing ice and snow for almost an hour to change my tire for me while I am inside singing my heart out for baby Jesus.
I think he might love me.

5 comments:

KatieKate said...

Good job, Billy! Well done.
I still call my Dad in Texas with odd explainations of sounds and smoke and various car maladies. In. Texas. He's so good about listening and diagnosing...and then saying, "Well, tell Curt tonight ok? I mean he's right there and everything."
Right.
I forgot.

Anonymous said...

Obviously he does. :-)

Anonymous said...

I really do! ;o)

Anonymous said...

awww... shucks

me said...

I Still do!