Thursday, December 27, 2007


Christmas snow is melting - it is warm and almost lovely outside. Our bellies are (a little too) full from all the celebrating that began over the weekend and still hasn't subsided. But we aren't done yet - over at a friend's house for dinner tonight and when I talked to her earlier she was making gluten free rolls for our feast! I am serious here. This girl knows how to speak love and I'm blown away by it.

Glimpses of our Christmas...
After an amazing evening with friends... The kids are tucked into bed with new pajamas (a dicoccoville family tradition) and stockings hung... We fall into bed around midnight. Neither of us sleep really soundly because we keep hearing footsteps upstairs. Really big christmas mice? kids running around in the middle of the night? I don't know - I'm too tired to go up there and find out. The phone rings - and my mom's cheery voice is singing in Christmas greetings from her house in Italy.
"Merry Christmas! I love you! I love my presents... this is what Dad got me, and I love the pictures jae sent and we are going to Guissepe's later for dinner and tra la la it is christmas morning... "
and after a little while in the conversation she says "It sure is quiet over there - are you guys all up and opening presents yet?"
to which I answered " Well, Mom, no. Actually the kids aren't allowed to wake us up till 7:00."
and Mom sheepishly asks... "Uhm... what time is it?"
and I say "Uh-huh. Yeah. It's 5:30 in the morning."

Good morning , Merry Christmas.


Mom and I talked for an hour (because I wasn't about to let her hang up then!)- Madyline and Harrison (who had been awake and into their stockings since 3:00 and 4:00 respectively) heard my voice and came downstairs to create a party.

And that is how Christmas began before the sun was up in dicoccoville.
Well, all except for Avery that is.

I finally woke her up at 8:00.


The day its self was quiet and lovely.

Savoring of giving and receiving.

Presents that demonstrated an outpouring of thought and love.

All our favorite snacks - all day long.

Lots of singing and laughing and snuggling under homemade blankets.

the fireplace crackling and warm all day long
plenty of cocoa dicocco

Jae and David and Grant showed up in their pajamas.
Bubble gum mushrooms - which apparently is a roulette-style appetizer in which my sister looses her gum in the stuffed mushroom mixture and we all decide to eat it anyway figuring that only one person was going to find it and the rest of us would enjoy ourselves.


Today brings a little more rest into a pretty perfect but still emotionally hard week.

Billy is out right now ... uhum... buying plane tickets.
more on that tomorrow...

love you


ps... Dear you
thank you.
you made me cry
because my heart was overflowing.
-the DiCocco's

3 comments:

Miss Laura said...

Trace, it seems to me that you were a fan of XC skiing...I don't recall who else was involved in that blog conversation (other than Kate, who is away...), but I am headed outside right now to ski in the apt complex "yard" and I'd like to go somewhere more established tomorrow...I know you're busy, but would you like to join? Or do you know anyone else who would?

Anonymous said...

I ski!! (but I think my ski's are somewhere in the rafters of my dad's barn...maybe it's time I go find 'em.) XC and downhill....I was a yooper for many years. Hoffmaster is the greatest place for XC'ing.

Anyway, Trace...this was a beautiful Christmas! The way you write, well, it feels like I'm right there with you. LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing your day with all of us.

Is that the blanket you were talking about - made from sweaters?!? That's SOOO wonderful!

the dicocco gang said...

YES! Totally out of old sweaters!
It is heavy and warm and soft and Bill(y) wraps himself up in it and putzes around the house all evening. I'm so happy that he loves it because I put a piece of my heart into making it.

and Jamie - do you feel like you were there at 3am ? at 4am? at 5:30 when my mom called? or later on drinking hot cocoa? Any way is fine with me, I just want to know where to place you in my memories of the day! :O)