Monday, June 18, 2007


I will not take my eyes for granted.
I will not take my eyes for granted.
I will not take my eyes for granted.


Yikes and yikes again.

So, for the past month or so, my contacts have been bugging me. I can wear them for a few hours, but then they begin to complain.


Yesterday, the one on the left all out started hollering. Screaming actually. Like I got a bit of something under my contact... like perhaps a razor or a jagged shard of glass. So my contacts went into the trash and I went to bed, crying. This morning, for holy Pete, I woke up and tried to open my eyes, and they cried rebellion , complaining that even the closed up room in the morning sun was too bright. After arguing with them for a couple hours... I realized that my influence on them was not near as compelling as their influence on me. So we went to the opthamologist who promptly said "Do you have a high pain tolerance? Cuz this is ugly!" Apparently I am allergic to the kind of solution I soak my contacts in... and it has been progressively burning tiny holes in the surface of my eyes like acid.


It hurts.

No contacts for a few weeks. No contacts AND light sensitive eyes. The doctor told me I could buy one of those wraps around/full face sun shields that people of the older persuasion like to wear. Billy took me out instead and we ordered my first pair of prescription sun glasses. They should be here before I leave on our road trip next week. Until then, I'm stuck inside and I'm toying with idea of painting black lines on my cheekbones . I might be cool enough to pull it off as a fashion statement. Does anyone know a football player? Does that even work?

The silver lining is... the basement is dark, and that is where I needed to be working for the next few days anyway. And since I am at the mercy of a cute boy with a hot set of wheels (literally hot as we don't have a working air-conditioner), we spent HOURS going through boxes in the basement today. Suzanne offered to host a garage sale for us this week... and BOY do we have enough to fill her garage! Where in the world does it all come from? And why did we save it all to begin with?
I've done about all I can do, and the sun is beginning to set here in dicoccoville... time for all the owls and temporarily blind to perk up for a bit. Oh, speaking of owls... I did go see my favorite Breathe Owl Breathe on Saturday. More on that later. My computer ate my pictures and I have a cute one to show you of Avery. I think I"ll turn on their new cd and lay in the dark for awhile with my eyes open for the first full time all day.

5 comments:

diane said...

i hear you on not taking eyes for granted. oh yes i hear you. and i understand about light sensitivity too. i've become a big fan of hats b/c sunglasses just don't do enough.

glad to hear you figured out the problem.

have fun purging your boxes! i love doing that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hey, in your massive Garage Sale stuff do you have a telescope? Dad would love to have one here since there's nothing between us and the stars above almost every day.
Sorry about the eyes. Can't imagine the pain. I can't stand to even have a bit of dust in my eye.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yea. My friend says she has 4/40 air conditioning. (Four windows open at forty miles an hour.)

the dicocco gang said...

diane- I went out and bought a big hat today. Avery says I look cute... I just feel a bit like a celebrity want-ta-be all covered up like that. Maybe someone will mistake me for someone famous.

If there was a movie made about your life... who would play you?

Mom... no telescopes on our end. I mean, we have that huge one you guys gave Billy a few years ago. Josh is babysitting it for us while we are gone. I don't know how to get it to you guys though. Remember how big it is?

Grace said...

Ouch ouch ouch! I suddenly have this crazy urge to take out my contacts and wash them like the bottle says I should...

Seriously, I hope your eyes start feeling better soon. Ouch!