We leave for a cross cultural training school in Colorado in a couple weeks where we will spend three weeks in a lodge near the mountains learning about this whole "being sponsored by your community to move to another continent and love on people" gig. Which is a great thing because we are pretty new to this and have every idea on how we could screw this up and lots of questions on how to do it right... or at least well. Guidance is a fabulous thing at this stage in the adventure. The kids will have classes during the day, Billy and I will have classes during the day, we'll have time to be together as a family with no other responsiblities or distractions... just Africa and God and each other to think about. We've been anticipating this since October when were gifted with exactly the right amount of money for this school through our benefit concert/silent auction ... and that fabulous surprise costume sale.
But one thing that has not seemed to magically (and spiritually) happen is for our pets to find secure, loving homes. Now, I have to admit, part of that might be my fault for loving them so much I have half-heartedly solicited their adoptions. I did give Clover (see Friday, June 9th in the archives) away to a new home two weeks ago. I thought I'd cry, but I'm honestly glad to see her finding a great place to be, and resolved that this is what has to happen for us to get to South Africa.
The problem is... it has to happen NOW. At least, before we go to Colorado. Three weeks is a long time to ask someone to stop by the house and let Zoe out... and if we happen to sell our house soon, I'm thinking the new owners might notice when Isabelle curls up between them in the middle of the night.
So, I made up these fliers today. Tell me what you think. Tell me if it inspires you to open your heart to a life (insert violin playing lovely background music here). I think if you click on them, you can see them big... and even download them to email to your friends ;O)
UPDATE 2.8.07 : Not-Wilson has a home... in a big 150 gallon condo in a living room perhaps near you (or far far away from Josh and Katie). Linda and Joel have had a history of reptiles throughout their 30 year marriage. Their latest being an iguana that grew huge and happy and old before it passed on to that great tropical jungle in the sky... but now, two years later, the hole in Joel's heart has officially been filled with a certain boa that we all adore. Linda asked "Is your snake social enough to hang out on the couch with Joel? Because I'm picturing him getting NotWilson out at 5 and just hanging out watching tv together till 9 every night. That is just how he is." Yes, yes... I do think that NotWilson has found his dream home. Although I don't think Joel will have NotWilson's favorite sport... a braided head of hair to climb through and get stuck in (that might have happened a time or two at our house). But I so feel, oh, so good about someone loving him as much as I do. Honestly, he will be a pet. Thank you. They'll come pick him up this weekend... so stop by the house soon to get your last squeeze in! And... if when we get back from South Africa... we choose to get another boa to love... do you think would it be okay for us to name him "Not-NotWison" ?

Update 2.7.07: Zoe went home with three fantasticly adventuresome girls last night.. the energy level on our couch last night let us know that it was a perfect fit. Lovely giggling and stories and plenty of snuggles for Zoe. I understand she already had her own fancy pillow and food dishes waiting for her at the new chick-flat. For real, these three girls had gone out the night before, before even knowing about Zoe, and gone doggie accessory shopping together in anticipation of a new pet. God is funny. There have been many tears today. Not all of them have been from kids' eyes. Wondering what Zoe is doing "right now" (probably sleeping). Mady says that she "quits" the whole Africa thing. Last night two of the dicoccobabies slept on the floor in our room because they were lonely for their dog. The house is quiet. Even now I am listening for the thump as Zoe jumps off the couch and click click of her nails on the floors to come find where I am. But this is a good thing. I'm so glad that out of everyone, these girls have found each other and have chosen to let our best girl join their party over there by the bakery. Snuggle up good... run fast... and don't let her eat too much people food... she gets gas.

6 comments:
Oh my GARSH, those flyers are fantastic!
Still hate the snake :)
Ohhhh, how I would love to take Zoe...stupid pet-free community we live in. We could probably get away with Not-Wilson, but you know how Josh is about the snakes (and to be honest, I'm not all that different)...I'll put the word out, though!
LOVE the flyers.....if I could have a pet, I'd have them all.
Trace.....Isabelle's phone number is incorrect.....or maybe it's the others....but the last two digits are switched! Sorry, it's just what I do.....Sharon
good call sharon... i changed it on the flyers! thanks
hey guys Zoe is doing well, she definately misses you. she has been trying to find the cat she has sniffed out.(we are keeping them apart for a little bit) they spend alot of time on opposite sides of the door sniffing and pawing it is rather funny. other than that her day consisted of a car ride a couple walks and a lot of time snuggling. Let us know when you are at the bakery!
So i am saddened to read that not wilson's flyer didn't mention how we came up with his name! ;) that was a fun day! Tracy says, "how about wilson?" ava says, "not wilson, momma..." and after twenty minutes... heather boldly interrupts, "How about... NOT WILSON?"
hahaha! good times.
Katie: I personally do not like snakes myself. not in the wild or captivity. People can usually hear my screams and dry heaves when i approach one at manhattan or at the zoo behind inches of thick glass, but there was something about the dicocco zoo's snakes... i actually held them (remember that day, trace? that was a big step! until i saw them eat and reality literally SNAPPED back!) and i let tracy and the kids play with them in front of me. hahaha! so i feel your pain, but i also will miss them.
i love what you said about izzy and the new home owners... i wish i could take her. i love her to death... and of course the drama between her, zoe and i! haha! i do appreciate the protection from the fur all over my clothes! i had a special bond with your cat...if i had my own place she would have wound up there YEARS ago, but unfortunately, i can't make all the decisions!
hey! i have a fascinating super bowl story for you... but you have to call me/hang out in order to hear it in it's full heather story telling glory! hahaha! actually, it's not that funny, but it has DRAMA! And the FREEZING cold... darn snow banks and mafia men! ugh!
Love you lots!
xoxoxo
-hd
p.s. did you get my photo/text about the cake jolly rancher wine???
Post a Comment