cleaning out closets.
I found this roll of slide film deep in a closet (we've found lots of things while cleaning lately... )It's funny, I remember this walk in the woods. I remember taking my big bulky bronica loaded with velvia and it feeling therapeutic to photograph through the upsidedown eye of it's large viewscreen. To be holding a piece of history and creating something beautiful, living inside a legacy larger than myself. It was one of the first times I had used the old camera... but it was dark in the woods and velvia is slow and I had neither a tripod or a telephoto lens. I remember being disappointed of the images when I got them back and packing the entire roll, still in it's sleeve, away (for in those days, I couldn't stand to throw any images out... the proof is in my bulging closets and subsequently, my bulging trash loads now).
Now, as I look at this roll, it is so precious to me.
The children, yes,
the memory of hiking in the woods as we so often do, yes...
and the imperfection of the photos, yes, they are so sweet to me.
So, here, I share a moment
out of our past,
out of our hearts
and quite literally, out of our closets.



3 comments:
Trace, your photos aren't just pictures, they're art. Whether you like them or not. I could sell copies of the top right and middle of the middle. They make me long for the quiet walks in the woods, too. THanks for sharing them.
sell copies mom... sell lots of copies... we need the money :O)
Hey, baby girl!
I know what you mean about forgetting about photographs you've taken... I just last night was searching through my stacks of images looking for the perfect one to use for my project. And I found myself not realizing what i have achieved. I found myself looking at some photos as if it were the first time seeing them.
it's amazing how when you have time to step away from the images and get the excitment of what you wanted to have them look like- if they failed to meet your standards at the time...and then go back to them later or in the future and have them blow you away with the details and style you failed to see the first time.
If you forget about some images and then revist them unexpectidly, it's almost as if you have an opportunity to see them for the first time.
slightly your style changes... your ideas of photography change and you can forget about the "perfect image" you were trying to achieve in your mind's eye at the time. When you forget that and begin to look at light, shape, color, texture...all the elements of art and photograpy you realize how beautiful the images truely are.
Your images are beautiful... simply amazing. I enjoyed getting to photograph with you as many times as i have. I wish it were sunny and warm to walk through the woods today and chat about life and tell our stories! much like the stories your photos told of that day.
And that's what your photos do- they tell stories, lou. They are so real and they speak the truth of the moment! (which is what i tried to achieve in my thesis and you know that photography and photographs can be deceiving....)... But then again, your children are real and show real personality even when they are posing. And that, my love, is a gift!
think of how different things are today compared to then. not that either one is bad... it's just all different! amazingly different. did you really think you would be doing what you were doing now way back then? life changes quickly... and it's amazing to have the old stories and photos to look back at and smile over.
xoxoxo
-hd
Post a Comment