My brother is the chef at a trendy local restaurant... he had this story to tell this week. I asked him to write it out to share it here in dicoccoville ... because we all need this moment.
OK, so here's how it went down. Tasha and I are alone and serving a modest number of people. Simple lunch like any other day. She opens a package of greens (they are triple washed and ready-to-use spring mix, not like collard or mustard greens) She sticks her hand in to fill up the plate and feels something.
From my point of view I just got her saying, "What's this?" and holding up a clump of greens. It's common that our greens wilt, or become frozen in the cooler, so I already knew the answer was, 'a clump of frozen/wilted greens' But then she dropped it, to about 5 VERY scary steps backward and yelled-whispered, "It's a frog!"
Sure enough, I went in for a closer inspection and found that there were many lettuce leaves stuck to a gross clump, and then saw a very obvious frog foot poking out. Judging from the clump it would have been about raquetball size. Tasha was traumatized for obvious reason.

I've been putting a lot of thought into how the frog got into those greens. They fill the package by weight, and the volume of 4 oz of greens and a 4 oz frog would have meant that there would have been a big gap where the machine said, "It's full enough" In fact, 4 oz (my guess for the weight) would have been 1/4 of the total weight of the package. Also if it was swooped up in the field, it would have been cut up at some time in the process, right? But we had a whole frog. So my only 2 thought are these: Either an unhappy employee placed it there, or a frog actually jumped into the box on the assembly line. Since I'm pretty sure that the next stop (probably 3 seconds later) from the filling station is the lidding station, I can't help but think the former is the only way this happened.
Anyone else have opinions, I'm open.

4 comments:
I am kind of wondering where they get their greens?
chris
Thinking more along the lines of a disgruntled (spelling...see - i could never home school) Earthlands Best employee...I don't think a frog would be a good "i'll show them" sort of thing. No, no - it would have to be more like a hamburger patty or even worse (or better depends on how you look at it) a piece of un-cooked bacon. A frog is just to earthy and enjoyable to most people. I will admit - after recently seeing an episode of The Brady Bunch - those frogs can JUMP! Bobby didn't have a winner - but that Peter - his big guy was a jumper. I'll go with option number two. Anyone else with option number 3?
Julie "back to nature" Harkless
A year or two I heard an nearly identical story, with the frog and all, and thought, hmmmmm...isn't that curious. And then last winter I found a very large winged insect vaguely resembling a dragonfly in my "triple washed" spring mix. Lies, all lies. I now go through those packages with a magnifying glass and a high powered sprayer to decontaminate.
Alisha
frogs and dragonflies...madness!
My best story involves a bowl of soup and the foot of a duck.
I'm not sure how that frog got into the bag... but my bet is on Sam the butcher. I'm betting he was scheeming to get Alice scared enough to jump into his arms. Those two always did have a hard time saying how they felt outright. And Alice is a bit skittish. A frog would have done the trick.
Post a Comment