Saying Goodbye to Africa...
...has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

Normally I am pretty well adjusted to be able to live in the moment. One of the many benefits of my personality. Granted, it is also a part of me I fight with often... it makes me forget things easily. Thus the reasons I am a photographer and a writer. It's the only way I can hold on to memories sometimes.
So I just assumed that I know all about culture shock and re-entry and emotions. We gave ourselves a week of silence to readjust and came home with plenty of photos and stories journaled out. I guess I thought I'd rest for a week, wash my hair, gorge myself at Little Mexico and Bombay Cuisine and be able to dance back into life here at home... conversations of my awe and delight and struggles and confusion and questions and joy would punctuate my interactions with people. 
But instead, I just can't seem to emerge from this funk. I can't seem to reconcile my life here and life there. I can't seem to shake the bitter feeling that here I am, waking up in my clean, safe, comfortable home and life... and little faces that we held in our hands are waking up today... still in poverty, in fear, in pain.
It just isn't okay.
But I know I have to (and I will) come to a balance again. We've only been home for a week. I can give myself permission to take time to unpack my heart and my mind.
But I have a headache and it makes it hard.
So I'll just keep thinking about Africa.
And you'll hopefully give me time to do that.
And soon we'll figure out how to live well in the truths of both worlds.

8 comments:
You're in a good place Tracy. Stay there. Chew on it. Love it. Embrace it. I'll enjoy you while you're here in this place. I love you.
oh friend take your time
Sometimes it's confusing being the clay. Grab hold of II Corinthians 1:3-7 for youselves and for your loves that are half a world away. ~D
remember, however long you think it will take...triple it
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
loving you on your journey...don't rush it. it is a beautiful work God is doing in you...
Amy
The beauty of being on a journey is that the ones you love are on it with you. And being a realist - maybe God does not want you to reconcile things in your head. There and here - maybe it is not supposed to make sence. Maybe it is supposed to be hard and painful and maybe thats where you move forward on your journey. Much love and quietness for you (i know that is a shock - the quiet part)
Julie
I hear you sister. Oh, how I hear you. I'm willing to say that you may Never Truly get over Africa. It does that to people.
And it's good.
Tracy, take your time in allowing God to help you digest all you have seen, felt, heard and experienced. You are loved! Brian and I would love to hear the stories and see TONS of pictures! I personally love pictures and always take a long time looking at just one picture.
Lori (Brian Johnson)
Post a Comment