Monday, April 03, 2006



Rwanda – day one (Friday)
(well, day two, but today we are actually awake)

We have seen so much here…and yet, I am aware that we have just begun. I can already tell that our week will pass much too quickly. Amy, I’ve only been here a day and I’m already sad that God was not asking me to be a part of your April trip to Burundi.

Shami is beautiful enough to drive us around this week so we have not only a ride, but a friend for the journey as well. Today, as Billy was working at World Relief, Shami took the kids and I out to see the town… or rather the country. We traveled up and down and around the hills… the road of red earth pockmarked with deep puddles and waterless rivers and uneven terrain.
(If we move here, I will need to learn to drive all over again. Between the free-for-all traffic in the city and the rough rural paths out of town… I wouldn’t stand a chance!)
The outlying areas were so beautiful. If I were here as a photographer, I could live in those hills for a month and still not be quite ready to leave. Unfortunately, it wasn’t only me driving through and so I didn’t ask shami to stop so I could photograph the people and houses and banana trees and cattle and children and beauty of the country. It will be tucked inside my own heart forever though. Lord, help me not forget.

For lunch, we went with a crowd, to an African buffet – we had these juices filled with large chunks of tropical fruits – and we ate cow tongue smothered in some sort of cream sauce served over rice. I gave Avery a bite without telling her first what it was. Later, when it was revealed, she looked at me kind of funny and burst into laughter saying “I just HAVE to write about this in my journal! The kids at school won’t believe I actually ate a cow’s tongue!”

Later in the afternoon, we passed a large field at the base of a hill with hundreds of kids playing. Shami explained that almost all of them were/are street kids. Through a program similar to fostering, some of them now have a home but many more are needed. We descended down the steep hill and parked the SUV among curious faces.
Mady took a Frisbee and quickly started a game with a large group of boys.
I had my digital camera out and was mobbed by little boys pushing and shoving and shouting “And me as well!” in French and then crowding to see the images on the tiny screen – and laughing with excitement to see themselves there.
Avery, from the beginning had stayed in the car. After only a few minutes she was found out and boys were saying to me “Tell that one to come out”… and then began surrounding the car to peek inside the windows. Pretty soon I saw the window come open and Ava stick her head out. I was busy taking pictures when I heard an explosion of cheers as Avery bust from the car and ran at full speed- tickling any boy she could catch. They all ran and laughed and crowded and smiled. We drew the attention of some older boys and men – and I can’t help wondering what they thought. If we could have gone in with a purpose- perhaps I would have felt less guilty. As it was – we came down into the valley of the street kids- we pop out of our car with our muzungu faces – play for 30 minutes and then pack up and head back to our lives, leaving them in theirs. Is it okay?
Shami and Emily said it was, and I would guess they know, they are as Rwandan as those boys or the men that watched.
All I know for sure is that I have seen brokenness and I have seen joy and I didn’t want to drive away.

Scroll down through the previous posts every once in a while because one of these days I am adding more pictures.. at least I am going to try to... the internet connections are patchy. but I To accent the stories. There are hundreds more where these came from. You are just going to have to make a plan for us to spend time together after we return to see the rest. :O)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the kids are beautiful - yours and theirs!

diane said...

Habari!

mzungu=white...i remember that from my swahili lessons. so jealous of your time in E. Africa. can't wait to hear about it/see it upon your return!

Nowomba qupiga picta? Can I take your picture? (I tried to spell it phonetically...don't know the real spelling...but thought that phrase might help a Miss Tracy!)

Anonymous said...

Maddy,
The paperwork is not soooo bad.....it takes about a month or 2. But it does cost a lot of money for the lawyers and country fees. But you guys are getting to be pros at fundraising :) We know a great agency that has a program in Ethiopia........

We may have a picture of our son (from Guatemala) by Mother's Day!

Thank you for sharing your stories. I get teary with every picture!!!!! God is so BIG and AMAZING!!!!!

Blessings, Marie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing to share your adventures. The pictures tell so much of the story. Maddy's excitement to make the most of a moment, Avery's fame. We love you, and continue to pray for you, keeping living each moment to the fullest.
-dumonds

Anonymous said...

it's too bad that you aren't there as a photographer, Trace... cause you are doing an AWESOME job documenting the trip not only with your words, but with you photos... they look AMAZING! I love seeing the photos... you are a photographer... despite what we say after weddings... you ARE a photographer!

a guy came into work today with a huge bag of film... i looked at him and said, "I am NOT doing those in an hour..." and he laughed. But in the end, we wound up talking about South Africa...that's where all those rolls came from, and i told him about your journey and all you are doing there...he was impressed...

just thought you would like to know.

missing you...can't wait to read more and see more!

xoxoxo
-hd

p.s. so much gossip for when you get home! hee-hee!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your stories and for sharing your hearts with us and everyone you are meeting. You are all so beautiful. It makes me proud to read your stories.

Bridgette