
Zandspruit was definitely different. I would say to explain, it was a sad place. It broke my heart to see people so poor. Their houses were only made out of tin pieces and sometimes they used bottle caps as decorations. It just broke my heart to see them having so little when we have so much. And they have very little and yet can be happy and playing- and we have so much and sometimes we complain because we only want more. It made me sad to come into their neighborhood- sometimes their houses weren’t even as big as my living room. And it changed my heart. Because at first I thought I didn’t really care about Africa – but now that I’ve been to Zandspruit – I care a lot and that my heart has changed.
Emthonjeni is a place where they help the people of Zandspruit. There are many things they do there… but I liked playing with the kids. Kids get a meal before and/or after school. They feed them stuff that is called “pap”. It is kind of like a sticky rice that you dip in sauce- the sauce makes it taste a lot better. Believe me, I’ve tried it. They eat pap every day. You eat it with your hands – it is sticky so it sticks in your tummy so you don’t feel hungry anymore for a long time.
At Emthonjeni, they sang songs about God-
songs that I knew- like "This little light of mine" and "Awesome God". And they did really great motions. It was really great because kids got to go to a safe place after school and play on the playground and do homework and art and read books. When I went to Emthonjeni, I met a boy named Tip. We had a really fun time together. I wish I could be with Tip this very second.
Emthonjeni is a wonderful place to me where they don’t just keep their hearts to themselves but open the doors of their hearts wide open so anyone can walk in and be loved. And I think that it is amazing and my goal is to be like Emthonjeni is – to love and help other people without worrying about myself.

4 comments:
Jesus called a small child over to him and put the child among them. Then he said, "...Therefore, anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me." -Matt 18
Harrison you are a great story teller, and you have a beautiful heart.
Thanks for sharing,
the dumonds
YYYEEESSS!!!
"Emthonjeni is a wonderful place to me where they don’t just keep their hearts to themselves but open the doors of their hearts wide open so anyone can walk in and be loved. And I think that it is amazing and my goal is to be like Emthonjeni is – to love and help other people without worrying about myself. "
what an amazing heart you have Harrison. You have blessed my by writing this, what a perfect way to praise God, to be like Emthonjeni.
Post a Comment